The Center for Public Education (Center) is a national resource for accurate, timely, and credible information about public education and its importance to the well-being of our nation. The Center provides up-to-date research, data, and analysis on current education issues and explores ways to improve student achievement and engage public support for public schools.
The intended audience includes school board members and other policymakers, educators, community leaders, parents, and everyone concerned with the education of our children.
Board members may find the Center's Data First initiative helpful in understanding how to look at numbers.
The Center is an initiative of the National School Boards Association (NSBA).
WCER provides a dynamic environment where some of the country's leading scholars conduct basic and applied education research.
WISEdash is a data portal that uses "dashboards," or visual collections of graphs and tables, to provide multi-year education data about Wisconsin schools. Data on the portal are redacted and available by school, district, or the state. Current and certified data can be displayed for multiple years and it can be grouped and filtered by a variety of demographics including grade level, gender, race/ethnicity, economic status, disability, English proficiency, and migrant status. Data download files are also available. As a public reporting tool, WISEdash is used by districts, schools, parents, researchers, media, and other community members to view data published by the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction.
2013 research by Michael R. Ford of UW-Oshkosh and Douglas M. Ihrke of UW-Milwaukee found that when school board members who have served for at least five years indicate greater adherence to the Key Work of School Boards, student achievement increases. Specifically, greater adherence to the Key Work concepts has a statistically significant relationship with a district's reading proficiency levels, and overall accountability score. Read more.
Additional resources such as the Quick Guide on Making School Climate Improvements may be helpful to boards.
The National School Boards Association National Connection program provides a package of resources and tools to participating school districts. It includes access to:
- Federal Insider: Get the real story from Washington, D.C. with NSBA's legislative and legal experts.
- The Center for Public Education Briefing Room: Improve your decision-making with practical insights from school improvement research.
- Meet the Experts webinars: Innovative ideas shared by national experts who are shaping public education for tomorrow.
- School Board Leadership Resource Center: Strengthen your board's leadership for student achievement with best practices from across the country.
- Public Engagement Toolkit: Create public commitment and strengthen confidence in public education.
- Money Saving Resources Maximize resources available to help your district succeed.
- American School Board Journal: Stay in the know with NSBA's award-winning coverage of pubic education trends and issues.