Report to the Membership
Built on a tradition of providing high-quality service to member districts, the WASB is proud to be at your service. With your membership, you have a statewide voice in public education and your district benefits from valuable member services. Below are highlights of the WASB’s work for you in 2018-19:
Advocacy and Government Relations
- Directly represented school boards on the Blue Ribbon Commission on School Funding.
- Conducted 4 workshops to strengthen board members’ legislative advocacy skills.
- Facilitated the testimony of more than 40 school board members state budget hearings.
- Continually monitor 100s of bills each legislative session.
- Post regularly to the WASB Legislative Update blog, Facebook and Twitter.
- Named among the top influencers in Wisconsin by Ballotpedia.org.
- Meetings and Events
- Hosted more than 60 conferences, seminars, gatherings, workshops, webinars and the annual Joint State Education Convention. Collectively, more than 4,600 attendees participated in the numerous WASB events and programs.
Legal and Human Resources Services
- Responded to 4,220 law-related inquiries from members in 379 districts and provided direct services to 95 districts.
- Updated and revised the WASB Employee Handbook, which provides school leaders with a comprehensive, customizable tool to manage all school district staff.
Policy Services and Information
- Served 342 districts through the WASB Policy Library and other special policy services.
- Responded to more than 400 individual requests from members for policy information.
- Provided the WASB Policy Resource Guide subscribers with early access to new and updated policy language on hot policy topics.
Customized Leadership Services
- Continued to provide districts access to the Annual Board Development Tool at no cost in partnership with School Perceptions and provided facilitation services on the tool.
- Directly served 26 school districts in various projects (e.g. leadership and organizational effectiveness, leadership development, strategic planning and superintendent evaluation), and assisted numerous others through informal consultations.
- Completed 15 successful superintendent searches and aided numerous other districts through presentations and advice.
- The WASB website – WASB.org – averaged 3,500 users per month.
- More than 3,100 followers on Twitter.
- The Legislative Update has 4,500 page views per month.
WASB Insurance Plan
- Provided timely electronic alerts and expanded its online library of resources for members on an array of topics.
With so many programs and services available to you and your district, the WASB is an investment in your district’s ability to meet your student achievement goals. Please visit us online at WASB.org or contact the association toll-free at (877) 705-4422.