Introduction to Board Service Program
A component of the WASB Member Recognition Program
The Introduction to School Board Service Guide is a professional development guide intended to help board members in their first term of office be exposed, at an introductory level, to the full range of issues and topics that come before boards and be exposed to content that reflects the core work, actions and styles of effective school boards.
- Governance & Leadership
- Legal & Policy Responsibilities
- Finances & Facilities
- Advocacy & Community Relations
How Does a New Board Member Participate?
The Introduction to School Board Service Guide requires that individual board members track their participation. (The WASB is able to track the registration for its events and thus, is able to award points for attending a conference or other event. However, the WASB is not able to track attendance at specific sessions within a conference or the annual convention.)
Three Easy Steps:
- When attending any WASB event or the annual Joint State Education Convention, look for sessions which fulfill the criteria of the Introduction to School Board Service Guide.
- Note your attendance in the session on the enclosed form (sessions may only be applied to one criteria at a time).
- Once you have completed all requirements, return the form to the WASB.